Monday, January 10, 2011

An ode to Pavement & "Love is Mixtape"

The cover to 2010's "greatest hits" work: Quarantine the Past (pic via Pitchfork)

"The thing about Pavement isn’t that they chose diffidence, or irony, or aloof distance (or whatever other residual Gen-X cliché you’re compelled to recycle) as an aesthetic posture. It’s that they seemed to find themselves, like lots of us, inherently diffident, and ironic, and aloof, and distant (and whatever) in their relations with others, and they created the sort of language and noise we needed to communicate amongst ourselves. And in the process, they found that plenty of emotional truths, and plenty of good tunes, are better approached from oblique angles anyway " - via Usefulnoise



The quote above is one of my favourite pieces of writing on music, ever.  I found it via Rob Sheffield's twitter account. For those of you who don't know, Sheffield is the head music review honcho over at Rolling Stone Magazine where he also has a column (I think). He also wrote a very thoughtful book about love, loss and indie music (which both Meg and I strongly recommend) called Love is a Mixtape.

 (pic via Amazon)

Lastly, Pavement. I came to love Pavement last year when I started checking out their work in the lead up to my visit to the Roskilde music festival last year. I'm also too young to have appreciated them in their prime in the 90's. I think though, that one day, when my (at this moment, theoretical) son and I talk music, I will describe Pavement as my favourite band of all time - the band that (even as a grown-ass man) I wish I was a member of and the one band I am the most grateful I got to see live.








Links to good reviews on:
Pavement's Quarantine the Past by Pitchfork: click here
Some blog love for fuelfriends with a very cool piece on Love is a Mixtape: click here

Marlon

No comments:

Post a Comment